The Netherlands by boat and bike
Bike tour Amsterdam-Maastricht - MS Sarah from EUR 1099
The Netherlands are way more than just Holland. This tour will take you around the IJsselmeer, the Rhine-Maas-Delta withs its confusing amount of river arms, and Limburg province, from where you’ll be able to see the foothills of the Eifel and the Ardennes. You will be enthralled by loads of nature, many fortresses and breathtaking castles. Travelling across the Netherlands by boat and bike is easy and pleasant. The tour commences in Amsterdam.
Here are some details on the informal ship MS Sarah.
Day 1 Arrival in Amsterdam, boat trip to Weesp, approx. 11 km/7 mi
Embarkation at 2 pm, after which the ship will take you to the pretty town of Weesp. Here, there’ll be a short bike tour, after which you can stroll around the historic centre in the evening.
Day 2 Weesp - Utrecht, approx. 47 km/29 mi, boat trip
Alongside the river Vecht you’ll be cycling to the University town of Utrecht, before which there’s a scheduled stop at a creamery. You’ll be sleeping in the fortress town of Vianen.
Day 3 Vianen - Gorinchem, approx. 41 km/25 mi, boat trip
The tour leads on to Leerdam, which is home to many glass blowing workshops. Starting in Gorinchem, you’ll be carrying on by ship to the restored fortress town of Heusden.
Day 4 boat trip, Maasbommel - Cuijck, approx. 40 km/25 mi
Starting in Maasbommel, the river Maas will be your constant companion for the rest of the tour. Ravenstein and Grave are two charming medieval towns.
Day 5 Cuijck - Arcen, approx. 53 km/33 mi
The tour will lead you through the Maasduinen national park, after which Arcen Castle, with its 10 different rose gardens, awaits.
Day 6 Arcen - Venlo - Roermond, approx. 50 km/31 mi
Further along the Maas, the tour leads to Thorn, which only features whitewashed houses. Roermund is an old episcopal town with several buildings that are worth a visit.
Day 7 Roermond - Born, approx. 42 km/26 mi, boat trip
Today’s stage leads through Limburg province, until you reach the day’s final destination, the provincial capital of Maastricht. It is home to exciting museums, old casemate walls and impressive mergel grottos.
Day 8 Disembarkation, departure or extension
After breakfast your tour "Netherlands by boat & bike" comes to an end.
Here are the details on MS Sarah.
Included in "Netherlands by boat & bike":
- 7 nights aboard in your chosen category
- full board (7 x breakfast, 6 x packed lunches, 7 x dinner)
- complimentary coffee/tea
- cabins are cleaned daily
- bed linen and towels supplied
- welcome drink and chat where we will provide you with all the relevant information
- several short guided city tours
- entrance fee Ceuclum Museum in Cuijk
- bike tours with english speaking tour guide
- daily cycling stage briefings
- detailed travel documents in english
- GPS tracks
- optional rental bike
- optional rental helmet
- outside cabins, approx. 10 sqm (108 sq ft), with ensuite WC and shower
- openable portholes
- air conditioning
- level-access beds
We offer comfortable unisex-bikes with 7-speed gearboxes/freewheel, equipped with a bike bag and a bike lock. We also offer e-bikes if desired.
Travel time 2022:
- Arrival on saturdays
28.05. + 02.07. + 27.08. + 10.09.
All prices are per person.
- 1099 EUR travel price
- 1369 EUR single occupancy
- 1039 EUR triple cabin
- 85 EUR rental bike
- 185 EUR e-bike
- 10 EUR rental helmet
- 10 EUR private bike
- 25 EUR private e-bike
Arrival to "The Netherlands by boat and bike":
- The MS Sarah is berthed at the Oosterdok near the Centraal Station.
- Arrival by car:
There are three options of parking your car for the duration of the trip. In any case, please drive to the quay first and bring your luggage and (if applicable) personal bike aboard. Then
- Drive to the car park Oosterdok near Amsterdam Centraal station. Costs are approx. EUR 175 / week.
- Make use of our parking service from Centralparking. We will arrange for your car to be picked up from the quay, stored safely and returned to the ship. Your vehicle is insured against all types of damage or theft and will be parked in a protected underground facility. Cost: approx. EUR 150 / week.
- Make use of the free parking space P&R at the train station in Weesp. Back to Amsterdam Centraal station by train, duration approx. 15 minutes, cost approx. EUR 4.
- Arrival by train:
Amsterdam Centraal station, get the 48 bus to the quay, duration approx. 10 minutes, cost approx EUR 3.
- Arrival by plane:
Shiphol Airport, take the train to Amsterdam Centraal station (approx. 20 minutes, approx. EUR 5), followed by the 48 bus to the quay (approx. 10 minutes / EUR 3)
Alternatively, get a taxi from the airport to the quay, cost: approx. EUR 45 per vehicle. There are several private and scheduled providers, see e.g. here.
In principle, you can bring your own bike along. However, please note that your bike will be loaded on and off the boat twice a day along with several others and therefore slight cosmetic damage to individual bikes cannot be ruled out, which is why we do not take responsibility or liability for such damage. We recommend reserving one the excellent rental bikes we offer.
Individual return journey by train, duration approx. 2,5 h, no change, price approx. EUR 28. You can find additional information regarding parking and your return transfer in your travel documents.
Perfectly looked after:
During your tour, we are available between 8 am and 8 pm, 7 days a week. We are happy to help with any kind of problems you might be having. You will find this emergency number in your travel documents.
- As is the case with all boat trips, changes in travel itineraries due to the weather, the rivers’ water levels or technical issues can be undertaken at any time.